Sunday, December 04, 2011

Police violating human rights in Occupy Wall Street?

Now, before everyone and their mother begins ranting on their opinions towards OWS, I just want to make clear that I will not be conveying any of my personal views to this protest. As I'm sure many of you have heard of the recent pepper-spraying business to protestors, I just wanted to raise the question whether police officers are violating humans rights. One of the most popular happenings so far was when a police officer pepper-sprayed a line of passive students sitting on the ground. You can watch the video here. There are further stories of an 84-year-old woman being pepper sprayed. You can see the image here. There is another story of an NYPD officer eating pizza that was delivered to imprisoned protestors. You can read it here. As American citizens, we have the right to protest and I understand that most protests become violent and the police is supposed to control it. But they are not supposed to adhere to the violence themselves. If there was a riot going on, then maybe, it is more understanding to use pepper-spray but for a line of passive students? who are just sitting on the ground? I think that's ridiculous. When I come across things like these, it's not really that different from police officers hitting and abusing citizens in Jamaica (as I read about for my case).   

2 comments:

Cosima said...

The police brutality that has been going needs to stop no matter what. But what is even more scary, that a great amount of people do not know is that there are numerous rape allegations from people within Zuccotti Park in NYC; however, they generally do not report them to the police, rather they handle it within the park. I am not in anyway saying that what the police are doing is right because it is most definitely not but something needs to be done to protect the individuals staying there.

HumanRightsAdvocate23 said...

That picture of the 84 year old women is just so heartbreaking.

War against Euphoria

  Hate Hope and Human Rights  At least that's what the addicts describe it as. In 2020 alone, an estimated 9.5 million Americans, just A...